Ghana

Ghana: a country on the coast of West Africa, where i will be living for the next 27 months or so....

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Battle I Won....


For the past 21 months I have been in battle, in the country of Ghana, in the small village of Mem Chemfre …..a fight that for the most part I was losing, but on Tuesday the thirteenth, I defeated and I won the war. At first I did not realize I was even in a fight, but after my first roll of duct tape disappeared and the amount of things falling increased, I knew that things would never be same. I tried to ignore the problem, look the other way, pretend that it will stop on its own….I was wrong.
I didn't know what to do, where to go, who could help me. I enlisted the help of my second and last roll of duct tape to finish what they started. But it failed, and I lost all hope for a normal and comfortable life. In a moment of despair, I started to talk to myself about my problems and was overheard by a neighbor. He had the answer, he was my new life line, my rope to climb out of the hole; Putty.  That one word gave me hope and motivation to change my situation in the war.
I attacked in full force: ripping, tearing, and destroying my past work. And all the while, it kept coming and coming….large and small fell all over me and my room.  But I knew that this was my last stand, I was Custard and they were going to lose. One finger full at a time, one smooth motion with my hands and I was winning. At the end of the battle, I was sweating from every pore on my body, covered in god knows what, and smelling to high heaven, but as I stood back and admired my work I knew…this was it…It was done and I had won.
As you can imagine, clean up after a war like this took almost as long as the battle itself.  With only a small homemade broom, I cleaned it all up and can now walk in my room without turning the bottoms of my feet black. I took a long, cold bucket bath and now lay in my two yard on my bed, feeling good. I can still hear them, and know they will continue to try, but for the time and I do hope some time in the future, I can rest at ease knowing that I stopped them…..for now.    
Based on a true story of my life in Ghana….Can you guess what I was fighting against??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment