Ghana

Ghana: a country on the coast of West Africa, where i will be living for the next 27 months or so....

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Meetings, people, and food....O My!

This past weekend has been an amazing time! It started on wed. when i was supossed to meet with a group of farmers and talk about projects and what their plans are, and how i can help. But see, the thing is, i kinda left my phone at site, and was thus not able to contact these nice gentleman to come and pick me up in this town that i had never heard of, so instead i went to another volunteers site and helped her move in and get comfortable in her new place. Ooo, one reason i was not able to just go back and get my cell phone, was that i had already crossed the river and it would have taken me another 2 hours to get back to my site and than try to get back to the town they were going to meet me in. Anyway, i had an amazing time with my friend Andy and her new roomate Mabel, who are both teaching at a Teaching college here in Ghana ( in other words, they are teachers for People we will become teachers). On Friday, Andy and i went to Kumasi for our VAC (volunteer advisory committey) meeting which is held 3 times a year and all of the volunteers in the eastern region are to come. We talked about what events are coming up in the next few months, what we want to see done and if we had any problems that management needed to know about. We also talked about our next GLOW (girls leading our world) camp, which i am VERY intrestred in, since i have been working at camps for around 6 years ( CRAZY, that i had been doing it for soooo long), so we are going to have another meeting just on that in Novemeber. It was Great to meet all the current volunteers that are in my region.
After the meeting, a group of us went into town and had a Very nice dinner. We went to Sir Maxs and had super good pizza and Hamburgers...as well as some ice cream....yummmmm! gotta treat your self every once in awhile to some good ol american food. On sunday, i skyped with my famliy for the first time since being here (it had been 4 months since we had seen each other faces), it was awesome to get to talk to them face to face~ OO, i almost forgot...I got a bike FINALLY!!!! I can now travel around my village ALOT easier, but it should be intresting to get my bike back to my village....im sure it will be fine!
I just finished cooking dinner with 3 other volunteers, and boy was it good. we made a "cheese" (laughing cow cheese) cream saw with carrots, green pepers, onions and garlic, over noodles. Than had some Chips Ahoy cookies which a Volunteer left behind ( THANKS BYRD!) for dessert. Well, that is about it for now, I travel back to site tomorrow, and dont plan on traveling again for some time!
*in the words of a PCV- The days go by slowly, but man do the weeks fly by!*

No comments:

Post a Comment