Ghana

Ghana: a country on the coast of West Africa, where i will be living for the next 27 months or so....

Friday, October 28, 2011

A time when Sheep and Chickens rule the road

When i first went to my site during training, i was like, this is not to bad, traveling should not be anything that i cant handle.....Good lord....Afram Plains....why do you have to be so difficult to get in and out of! So, i had to come down to Accra, which is the capital of Ghana, and should have only taken me around 5 hours to get there.....It took me 8 hours! but, let me start at the begining of this tale.....It starts on a cool thrusday morning, when i have to wake up at 3am to catch the bus that is leaving my area. This is the most reliable and timely way to get out of my area. The good part about waking up at the butt ass crack of dawn, is that i get first pick of seats on the bus, which is CRUTIAL cause being in the middle seat with two sweaty, smelly Africans for, 4 hours, is not my idea of fun! So as i was walking to the bus, I noticed that the only animals i was seeing were herds of sheep sleeping on the rd....and i mean more sheep than i have ever seen in Ghana, all together! It was a little crazy how many sheep were loitering on the road. Most times of the day, you will see the goats, but it seems that night belongs to the sheep.
Anyway, I got on the bus, got the best seat, and waited till we left at around 5am. This is the first time that i have been awake that late/early here in Ghana, so i got to see the sunrise and i had forgotten how amazing they are! I wish that i did'nt love sleep so much, so i could see them more often. Once we got to the Lake side were we take a ferry to cross, I find out that the Ferry is not there, and wont be for another hour.....well this just was not going to work for me, so i took a fast boat, which is a large wooden boat with a motor attached to it! I took the one that will only take 3 people across cause its better! So i get to the other side and take a Tro (which is like a van, but from the 70's and made in Japan, and is most of the time falling apart) to Nkawkaw. The road to Nkawkaw is AMAZING! you are driving up a mountian with waterfalls and beautfull scenery all around and than drive down into the town. Here, I will get on another tro which will take me to Madina, which is a taxi station in Accra. I find the tro that i need to take, and some women cuts in front of me, and takes the last seat! WHAT!*! So i had to wait for the next tro to fill (there are generaly anywhere from 10 to 14 seats on the tros). This takes over an hour, so of course i take advantage of all the things that these wonderful men and women have been making all morning AKA Bofriut (donuts), fried rice, and some candies; it was a good waiting time.
Once the tro filled, we were off! It takes around 2 hours to get to Madina, but on the way there....as we were climbing a hill....our tro decides to slowly die.....smoke starts to billow out and the car will not stay on anymore. At this time, i will tell you my mantra that i have devloped while travleing around...."Trust in Ghana.....Trust in Ghana......". We were able to get the car to a more level place where we could find water and some other myserious liquid that fixed our tro (yay)! I get to Madina, hop on another tro to get to the Accra Peace Corps Office ( FINALLY). Also, half way through this adventure, my ipod dies....and man...do i depend on this little piece technology!
So here i am, sitting in an AIR CONDITIONED room with a glass of cold water, using Fast internet, and feeling AMAZING. Im gonna be getting some Amazing food while here, cause you can get just about anything you want in this City. So that has been my day so far! Life in Ghan, you just never know what is going to happen to you, but what can you do, but smile and say..." O Ghana, i never get bord with you, Thanks for changing it up everyday!"
Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment